Sometimes you are put into the world for moments of time when you can contribute to one person's experience. I think this weekend was one of those times. I made a little girl happy by spending a day with her and her friends and simply being with them and allowing them to have fun. She had to ride a cart all around Busch Gardens because of a torn ligament in her ankle. We must have gone around the park 4 times - enjoying, hopping in and out of gift shops, hopping on and off the WirbelWind. All day, with 4 kids. And somehow I received the patience to give and get out of the way.
I think as you mature - and that comes later rather than sooner to some - you realize that its okay to consider the sacrifice of your time as worthwhile. I think I've actually escaped the need to have my needs met. There are still days when it would be nice to be considered first - but it really isn't necessary for me to have the best story, the best advice, the best idea. . . most people have pretty good ideas all by themselves. Sometimes its necessary to give up what you want (even something as simple as a ride on the Alpengeist rollercoaster) to minister to the needs of one little girl. In a world where people are constantly wanting to grab the gusto out of life and be at the edge of it all - its okay to sit back and just "be". Take yourself out of the picture. Sit back and observe and ask, "What's really going on here?" And remember to always be slightly amused.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment