Nope - Gentile here. As a matter of fact 'ex-fundamentalist' gentile. But but but. . . I love Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur at Temple Beth Shalom. Yesterday, we had some particularly fine shofar blowers - at least in my limited (3 year) experience with shofars. I can understand why it would scare the bejeebers out of anyone if a dozen of those babies fired up at once.
But the thing I like most about Temple is the practicality of the religion. Judaism deals with the things of life - the realities of stuff. Sometimes it is very centering.
Also, the music - wow, the music. I'm going home from my church today not singing "Freude schone gotterfunken" but singing "Romomu adonai romomu. . .romomu adonai eloheinu, adonai eloheinu romamu". . . you get the drift.
I'm so grateful that I've had the opportunity to be a participant and to learn that our sameness doesn't drive us apart - it should bring us together. I love those people at that Temple!!! Would love to have Rabbi Goldstein come and preach at my church. Not sure that's acceptable though - to him :)
Happy New year!
'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment