I'm working this summer at a camp called STARS (Students Taking Academic Responsibility). This is a camp designed for economically disadvantaged students who are motivated, bright, and willing to learn.
The kids have been awesome: Yoshi, Trevor, Jalen, Mark, Troy, Aisha, Da'Sha. . .all wonderful kids. There are more and I could go on and on. . .they've accepted me and we've formed a bond. I am thrilled to be working with them.
The current "Director" though - a whole other story. The woman did NOTHING to organize anything that we can tell. Another teacher and I have been running the place. Take for example the second day of the camp - this "Director" opens a hot convection oven and sticks her face in it - burns - she says are 1st degree. She is a huge sympathy monger. Wants the "poor me" all the time. Then she abandons the camp to go to the hospital for her burns (I was there - I saw nothing overt - maybe some swelling, but - ok, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt). So, come to find out, there is no food for the kids for day two. So, other teacher and I head out to our local Sams with the school credit card and buy food for the kids. Day three - Director shows up, and because of her extensive burns - leaves at 10. If she were only directing it would be fine, but this woman signed up to teach a "public speaking" class. She has YET to teach it - end of week one.
In addition, after being repeatedly told that in order to take the fieldtrip on Thursday to the Spy Museum that we needed emergency forms and fieldtrip permission ON CAMPUS - she had them at her house. She came in on Thursday and was yelling at everyone that "If you want to run this program then go ahead and do it!" She was going to go on the fieldtrip but our head of school told her - no way - and proceeded to talk to her for an hour and a half.
In addition, we are supposed to line up the food for lunch for these kids. So, one of the lunches on the way home from the museum is supposed to be Chik -Fil - A (one of our parents runs it). Come to find out the parent had repeatedly been requesting a letter to her corporate office which the Director had not done - she almost didn't give us our lunches - we sent a letter immediately. . . and added a thank you note which our Director had never written.
I will not work for this person again. I am pretty good at pulling things out of thin air- I think fast on my feet as a teacher. However, it is frustrating me so much that I've just gotten quiet. She has her son, who is not a teacher, not a graduate, teaching writing - writing. . . he has the personality and enthusiasm of a throw-rug and I have yet to see any authentic writing taking place with him.
I could go on - but that has been my week with STARS
On the other hand, the rehearsal at the Cathedral was awesome. I actually had the bus arrive on time - everyone was happy. . .life is good. They are all calling me the "Bus Goddess" I'll take Goddesss whenever I can get it. The next hurdle is Saturday - getting them all there on time.
It is amazing to be standing in the middle of that organ at the National Cathedral. We sing a LOT - three anthems, various service music, responses, Taize, spirituals. . . it's awesome. The new bishop is a really nice guy too. Just will breathe a sigh when I get them all safely there.
So - never a dull moment in my life. There is a ton more but must call an end. After this week, I'm having wine therapy on my friend's deck - I'm very happy about that :)
Relieved Rambler
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment