Monday, May 5, 2008

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

We started out at 3,400 strong in front of the Renaissance Hotel in Washington, D.C. It was early in the morning and we were full of enthusiasm, energy, and excitement. And we began to walk. So many people all walking with one purpose - to draw attention to Breast Cancer and to raise 8.1 million this weekend alone.

The day was warm and became warmer. I was cold to begin with, wearing my pink "Ann's Walk on the Wild Side" shirt (our team name). Lots of cool shirts. Among my favorites: "Save Second Base"; "Fight like a Girl"; "Save the Ta-tas". Everyone was attired in something pink.

We walked past the Senate Office buildings, the White House (I know now why they call it Capital HILL), the Tidal Basin, Arlington National Cemetary, the National Cathedral, the Netherlands Carrillon, Embassy Row, down into Georgetown, across Rock Creek Park, into Bethesda (through many neighborhoods I could not even begin to name), past Glen Echo Park, and into our final stop at 26.2 miles on Saturday evening.

Interesting things from the first day: the group I was walking with I probably do not want to walk with again. There were two sisters (one of whom is a work colleague) and their two friends and me. One of the friends became very angry at the large crowds of people - really threw a shoe and was in a foul, cranky, angry mood the whole 26.2 miles; Mile 19 to Mile 10 - mislabled!! We saw mile 19 and were looking for mile 20 and looking, and looking, and looking. . . FINALLY, we saw it. Then, about 200 yards later. .mile 22. No wonder we were wondering where it was - almost a morale breaker that one; one of the friends ended up at dinner seeing spots and feeling illl - ended up on an I.V.; hot showers in the shower truck.

My personal favorite memory of the first day into the first night/morning: I went to pop out my contacts by the light of the cell phone - first one popped and, probably because it was so dry, went flying. I searched and searched and searched - no luck. So, I prayed and said, "Lord, I need to sleep - take care of that contact and if I'm meant to find it in the morning I'm meant to find it." Well, I totally became a bit cynical when I had to get up twice in the night to use the bathroom. Well, the next morning I found a flashlight and began searching. . . about 3 minutes into the search - there's the contact. Now, the real question - after being slept on all night in a "not so clean" tent, would it be ok. I rinsed it, washed it - perfectly find. And a big "Thank You" to the Lord for hearing that prayer.

That evening I figured I'd never walk again - talk about hurting feet! I had blisters. My butt was sore because, let me tell you, Washington D.C. is the hilliest city to walk. You forget its a river town - until you walk it. I better have a tighter bum! One hill was 2 miles long Wisconsin Avenue goes on FOREVER uphill - but not for 2 miles. Going into our camping spot, the marker 23 miles was all uphill for at least a mile. I need to talk to these people about putting the hills at the middle of the marathon.

The next morning I'm up with the birds after a less than pleasant nights sleep. The ground was HARD. Didn't sleep all that well. Took an assessment of blisters - decided I could walk. The night before I had determined that if it was raining that morning I was going to pack it in. Well, the weather was perfect, I felt pretty good - I began to walk.

The first 5 miles flew by - again, they made a mistake on the distance between stops. From 4 mile stop it was supposedly on 1.2 to the next stop for water. We skipped 4 figuring it wasn't that much further. . . .well, at 6.4 miles we finally had a stop - after running low on water. Was doing okay - starting to feel those blisters big time.

Then Rock Creek Park - down (hard on shins) up; down/up - I did the first two hills okay. . .the next one at 8.5 I decided that the pain in my shins had to be attended to - I flagged the sag wagon and hopped in. I was sort of disappointed but decided that 35 miles was good enough. I met another lady in the wagon - we hung together. Ended up on the wrong bus - was going to take the bus to the 12 mile mark,wait for the team, and walk in with them. The bus I was on went to the end, so I walked back two blocks and waited on my team and walked in with them. I had pretty much had it with them though - they kept complaining we were only avergaing 2 mph on day 2. I didn't care - we were walking not racing - but that's over now.

The closing ceremony was very moving. All the walkers walked into the stadium together; then the survivors; then, God Bless these people, the volunteers. I have never seen a better organized event. They fed, housed, clothed, massaged, PT'ed, chiropractic'Ed, and medically treatead over 3000 people - smoothly, seamlessly, efficiently and ALWAYS with a smile. I told the massage therapist working on me that she must be exhausted - they'd been massaging since 3 and it was almost 8:30 when she got to me - she said, "Not as tired as you are honey". . .wow.

It was an event. Would I do it again? Not as a walker, probably. I walked my marathon - I suppose that makes me a marathoner. I would love to work as a support team though. I would like to do it with my friends. . maybe as a Chi Gam service project.

I'm tired. But feel remarkably well considering it all - feel as if I'm not going to die AND feel as if I could have worked today, but am glad to have the day off.

Personal accomplishment: It's the furthest I've ever walked in my life.
Spiritual accomplishments: I didn't lose my temper and kept my cool and kept positive; I trusted in the Lord to solve my problems; I walked by faith, not by sight.

And I am glad it's over!!!!

No comments: