Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Times they are a'changing

Guess what. . . for the second year in a row I'm losing two teaching partners. It isn't me - believe me. Bengt has decided to fulfill his lifelong dream of living in the Pacific Northwest. Tiffany and husband moved to Richmond. So now, I get it again. Unfortunately I'm not happy with one of the choices for replacement - the kid who is taking Bengt's spot is too "loosey-goosey" for sixth graders. I tremble - today he said to me, "How hard can it be to teach 6th graders?" Oh boy. I hate that we sometimes get these incompetent people and we are "bringing them along". Especially when they are young. The long and short of it is that young people, in their 20's and 30's are good for about 5 years. After that - they move on. It's a little of the culture. People are not "company' people anymore. They are moving on when something better for them is in the offing. It's just annoying to get someone up to speed and then have to do it all over again.

What I do is teach 6th graders. It is not easy. Think of the competition: t.v., WII, sports, computers. I stand up and teach and I have to reach every one of the every single time. There is no failure to perform - there is only try again. There isn't anyone to delegate something to - you are it. You have to think it all through before you even begin to execute it. Off the cuff - no such thing. Sure, those of us that have been teaching 20 years look like we can pull it out of our butt however, that knowledge and how to apply it is constantly in motion. We assess the child, class, and situation and we act in the moment by shifting gears immediately to a better way. You can plan only so much. Breathing children have immediate needs. It takes assessing the child instantaneously.

I resent the fact that teachers get paid so little for what we do. Making money in your profession is the equivalent of being worthwhile. How much do you make is the barometer of your success. So, by that definition, no one who teaches is 'successful' . According to the rules of society we are not as equal. People argue that it isn't so - but if it isn't so, then why is it impossible for teachers in our county to own a home? A single teacher, in our county, stands no chance. The pay scale is stuck in the past - women will of course not be primary bread winners and they always have a husband to care for them.

I love my job. I won't quit because of pay. I love my kids, its easy to love them. It's a great job. . . .it's just the respect and the always knowing that your friends will make more in retirement than you will ever make in your lifetime.

Rambling
P

No comments: