Saturday, May 31, 2008

Tra la. . .good bye May

Last day of May.
School isn't out until the 13th of June.
Now we begin one of the teacher's most difficult times of the year.
Reflecting back on the school year - it's been pretty good.
The "new crop" of 6th graders turned out to be pretty good eggs. I really like them. That's not always the case. Some classes are really much less likeable. Take our current 8th grade. . . no one will miss them when they are gone. Individually - they are fine. When the mob mentality sets in - they are little jerks. But this year - and last year - different story. So, if the incoming 6th grade proves to be as easy to get along with and as likeable, we'll have an awesome Middle School next year.

I teach in a private school. That is always a choice teacher's find difficult to make. If I taught in a public school first, I could retire in 3 years and second, I'd be making 20,000 a year more than I currently make. That's the difficult part of the choice - oh, that and no pension - forgot that.

The easy part is that when I walk into a classroom I'm given a book and my expertise in the subject is acknowledged and trusted. No one hands me a "script". When I walk in the room the discipline is mine. I am allowed to contact parents, conference with children, and deal with them individually and mete out appropriate and rational consequences. I can have a great time with my kids. I can, and this is a big one, HUG my children. With some, depending on the relationship, I can even give a little peck on the head (little girls who need a little mothering).

I've yet to understand why the kids like me as much as they do. Apparently, to my shock, I'm one of the more popular teachers. Rumor has it, the 5th graders all vie for a position in my homeroom. That's flattering and humbling because I have absolutely no idea what i do that entices them into my room. I treat them with respect; try to say "yes" more frequently than "no"; stop and think what is really going on in any situation; try to make decisions for them that take into account the craziness of the world; hold them to high standards yet offer redemption for minor offenses; and I try to like them at first just because everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

People always give us a hard time because we do not "work" in the summer. I love clueless people. So, this summer, after one week off, I work our STARS camp for underpriveledged kids, take a course at UVA the week after those three weeks - then. ..then I have my summer "off". But no, not really. (Oh and I'm taking an Italian class this summer). When my summer is "Off" I'm reading the newest in young adult fiction; going into work (yes, work) to check on classlists, schedules, etc; evaluating and changing each class depending upon what worked and what didn't; trying to design a more kid friendly and efficient room. . . .yep, summer "off". This summer I'm concentrating on that teacher's nemesis: PAPERWORK. I've got to come up with a way to quickly and efficiently grade papers. Honestly, grading is the least important aspect of what I do, but parents expect it. Surpised? Heck, teacher's would never grade a paper, still be able to give a kid a grade, and be perfectly ok with it. Its the parents who want quantifiable, measureable things to either berate or praise their little darlings for. After two weeks of having your kid in my room - I can pretty much tell you what their grade is going to be. So, if I know that then its my mission to take them from where they are to where they can be - regardless of ability or "potential".

Guess I'm passionate and in love with my job. So, this summer, when everyone is thinking of me sitting in a beach chair eating bonbons - double check the book in my hand. Check out the laptop that I'm typing upon, and guess what. . . . work is there.

Robust rambling

No comments: