Friday, May 2, 2008

Walking the walk

Tomorrow is the Avon Breast Cancer 2 day event. I will walk in Peggy Kechler's honor and in hopes of a cure. Peggy, whom I've never met, is the mother of my very good friend and close work colleague.

I have concerns - check-in tonight, for one. Seth is leaving his sleeping bag and cot with a group so called the "Solo Striders". Hopefully I can hook up with that. I have no idea what my tent assignment will be. It's going to be warm tomorrow but I fear we are walking in the rain on Sunday.

I also fear that I'll hit a wall and not be able to finish. I have trained as well as I could - would have love to have a 20+ mile walk on the books, but will have to settle for 17. I think that it's going to be okay, especially since there are rest areas every 2 - 4 miles. I figure if I can make it to lunch it will be good and then I can go on, restoked, at that point.

I'm not sure of the route - I know that we end up in Bethesda for the night. I've heard rumor that we are walking a few blocks on the Mall in D.C. Who knows? I am simply walking - and praying I make it.

Our team raised over $30,000 for Breast Cancer Research. This is amazing. Jen's sister raised the most - she was a real go-getter!

So, this time Monday - I may be totally prostrate. Thanks to my friend though, a Thai Yoga Massage will be in my future.

Keep me in your thoughts.

No comments: